Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Predictable Eventual Reaction


I feel sensitive from the day. 
Generally I try to look for the beauty and strength and joy amidst the filth and suffering and pain...but today I must look at it straight in the face and call it by its name. I suppose that it was only a matter of time before I wrote about the extreme poverty. This is probably a predictable reaction that we all knew was coming. That doesn’t make it any less real or vital. The state of poverty here is so overwhelming that I practically feel numb…as if there is so much to feel and react to that my body doesn’t know where to start. It is more than a thought. It is more than a feeling. It's a whole body sensation; it's a feeling of helplessness and separation. Problems so large that you don’t know where to start.

This is a picture of people purchasing water in the slums. It is 300 shillings for 60 liters, which is about $0.19. That may not sound like a lot, but it is still common to find people living on less than $1 a day, so $0.19 can really cut into the budget. This water will still have to boiled to be safe for drinking. Fuel- whether wood, charcoal or gas- takes more energy, more time and more money to get. 


For a house in the slums, this one is actually pretty decent because it is built out of bricks. If you look closer, you can really see a lot of traces of the everyday life. This is a very common scene. 



It is staggering the number of people who struggle on a daily basis just to acquire the basic necessities of life. It seems as if most have a shelter. I can’t even call it a home because it may just be a 10 x 10 room constructed out of sticks and mud. They are not sitting in their nice bedroom being cooled by a fan wondering whether or not they should go on to get their Master’s Degree or where next in the world they should travel (yeah…I’m referring to myself here). They are just dealing with fetching water and figuring out their next meal. And that is on repeat.

Here are some pictures of the woman that we visited. Her home is tiny and has no electricity. It is a single room that is maybe 10x10 or 15x15. She pays 30,000 shillings a month to live there which is about $20. She is 73 and had six children. All but one have died and she has many grand and great grandchildren. The one sitting next to her on the bed is her great-grandchild that lives with her.





Always smiling. She has even worked to make her little place more like home by having flowers planted in buckets. 




It is so hard not to feel guilty for all that I have. I was grateful for all that I have before I came here and I tried to express that gratitude often, if not daily, but being grateful doesn’t take away from feeling almost shameful for what I have when so many people all over the world have so little. Hot water that comes out of the tap is like magic! I realize that guilt is not an appropriate feeling and probably not a very productive one either. I just want to make the world a better place and I don’t know how to fix these problems and it is infuriating. It’s like this crazy itch on the inside of my body that cannot be reached, no matter how hard you scratch the surface. I have resources and I have talents and the challenge is figuring out how to make the best use of them. No one said that this was going to be easy.


 
I am an optimist. I do believe that we can work towards positive change that will improve each other’s lives. I’m talking about sustainable change that truly creates upward mobility for not just this generation, but future generations. You have to look at the big picture and get overwhelmed, before you can find the smaller problems that need fixing first. A house is only as strong as its foundation and there is no one size that fits all. Each situation is unique and you have to understand what you are dealing with before you can start building.  





This last picture is for the family. Hello! I am tired and dirty and sad in this picture, but I have learned from the locals to keep smiling. 


Love, Sadie

P.S. Here is a link to a new photo album:
Face to Face with the Everyday






No comments:

Post a Comment